Difference between MyFloodStatus Report and an Elevation Certificate


MyFloodStatus Flood Zone Determination Reports will identify if a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) is present, and if it contacts a property or, more specifically, the structure. It will also provide approximate Base Flood Elevations for the local floodplain.  

A flood insurance quote can be obtained by an insurance agent based on the findings of the official report. To determine if there is an opportunity to remove the structure from the designated SFHA based on its elevation, this is when an actual Elevation Certificate (EC) should be pursued. 

An EC is a separate document that provides specific elevations in and around a subject structure that can be submitted in order to challenge or mitigate flood insurance requirements and related costs. ECs should be ordered through a licensed surveyor.

Depending on your state, MyFloodStatus can either issue the EC or provide support to work with a third party. Either way, the entire process begins by securing an official MyFloodStatus flood zone determination report.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful



Please sign in to leave a comment.

Our support hours:
Mon-Thursday - 8:30 am - 7:00 pm Fridays - 8:30 am - 6:00 pm Saturday/Sunday - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
About SmartMLS
Working with you to make homeownership happen.
Tell Us How We're Doing
Take a minute, let us know or send us a suggestion